Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Allergies


I never remember being allergic to anything in my life. I'm quite puzzled by the sudden development, and I'm more and more convinced it is a food allergy despite it occurring when I exercise (so far only in the cold). I did a little bit more reading on allergies. There are a lot of theories, but no real answers.

My hunch is that allergies that develop later in life are related to you gut flora (since that's related to your immune system, and one idea is that allergies are caused by over-sensitive immune systems). They say it's unlikely to grow out of allergies when you develop them later in life (ie, <20yrs old). At 26, I'm screwed.

But, I'm still hopeful. Perhaps the reason allergies aren't outgrown in life is because we've damaged our intestines so much, and we don't change our diets to allow them to heal. Just a thought.

Exercised-Induced Food-Dependent Allergies (me most likely, boo)

"Exercise can induce an allergic reaction to food. The usual scenario is that of a person eating a specific food and then exercising. As he exercises and his body temperature increases, he begins to itch, gets lightheaded, and soon develops the characteristic allergic reactions of hives, asthma, abdominal symptoms, and even anaphylaxis. This condition has been referred to as food-dependent exercise-induced anaphylaxis (FDEIA) and is most common in teens and young adults. The cure, actually a preventive measure, for exercise-induced food allergy is simple -- not eating for at least two hours before exercising." ---WebMD

"The first case of FDEIA was recorded in a marathon runner in 1979, who collapsed when he ran after eating prawns."   - Funny that I started by reactions six months after my marathon.


http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2197842/Going-jog-Dancing-Or-just-doing-gardening--How-taking-exercise-trigger-deadly-food-allergy.html

New thoughts for experimentation:

Since, my yogurt is gone now...experimentation will be b
eginning shortly. I'm so excited to induce my feisty skin reaction - Yay! From reading a bunch of places online, it seems that many people who have exercise-induced allergies can avoid having an allergic reaction if they avoid eating about 4 hrs before exercising, or by avoiding certain foods 24hrs in advance. Have I really been eating too closely to exercising?

I wonder why fish is such a common allergen. Everything and anything is on the list though. Multiple food allergies really makes me think that it has got to be something to do with your gut not processing things properly. Why in the world would we be reacting to so many different foods, especially foods that are considered healthy?

No comments:

Post a Comment