Monday, January 14, 2013
Calorie Restriction: Some Thoughts
Popular belief is that in order to lose weight you need to cut your calories by eating less energy dense foods (ie, peanut butter or high fat foods) and eating more low calorie foods (ie, vegetables). A whole range of online calculators can provide you with a basic estimate of how many calories your body needs to function based on activity level, height, and weight. Yeah, I've been there, too. Perhaps there is some merit to calorie in vs calorie out, but I think it misses the point. In the process, it's a major pain in the arse. Never was able to stick to things like that for long. So, here my own randomly assembled ideas on calorie restriction and calories in general.
- The types of calories you ingest affects your satiety.
This is a result of your insulin response. The quicker the food spikes your insulin response, the more painful the crash and burn after-effects (ie, resultant hunger). To choose 150 calories of carbs (ie, some oatmeal) vs 150 calories of protein and fat (ie, a small piece of meat) will determine how long you stay content with your breakfast. Even the types of oil or fats you use end up with different storage or use processes. Research medium chain fatty acids. Now, if the body isn't getting what it needs, it doesn't matter how much you eat of something else, it will keep requesting food in the form of hunger pains. I used that as a sign to help me determine if my diet was working or not...I've had many hungry days despite eating consistently in the past.
- Calorie counting ignores the metabolic processes going on inside your body.
Okay, go ahead, count those calories meticulously. What about how well your body is working? Metabolism is also strongly influenced by your stress levels, sleep patterns, gut flora, etc. Adjust some of those other factors can play a role counting calories hushes. Instead of giving it the attention it deserves, you think to yourself, it's life, get over it.
Again, as in the first point, different foods go through a variety of potential pathways.
- Mixed opinions on frequency of eating.
Many general articles on losing weight include the recommendation that it is better to eat a bunch of small meals per day instead of two or three big meals. Sometimes, I think to myself that is just a rumor that was started to cover up the fact that carbs cause intense hunger pains approximately two hours after eating. I do agree eating smaller meals may be helpful, but not necessarily eating too many more meals.
- Calorie Restriction and Metabolism.
It's often said that you shouldn't eat less than something like 800 calories per day or you will experience "starvation mode." I used to really wonder how it was humanly possible to limit yourself to less than 800 calories in a day. That was back when I was addicted to my cereals and pastas. Now, if I get too distracted by other things, I forget to eat. The hunger pains aren't urgent. This would be an extremely value tool to any dieter. So, you want to lose weight, try cutting the grains and increasing the fat (healthy fats).
Another note, I experience heightened energy levels when I eat less. This can't be a bad thing either! Who doesn't want to feel light and energetic? However, when I eat too much, I feel heavy and slow. Also, if I do cheat and add rice or something to my meal, I find myself stuffed and sluggish. I read somewhere randomly that said a lot of supercentenarians eat very little.
Labels:
Calories,
Dieting Control,
Diets
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment