Monday, January 21, 2013

Raw Milk Adventures!!


I am super excited. I've made an appointment to meet at a farm to try & buy some raw milk! Tomorrow. Just one day until I can be officially ostracized by the non-believers of my family and friends for being a crazie.

One thing from the book I'm reading, The Untold Story of Milk that definitely makes sense:

How can we expect sick cows and heat to make a healthy food product? Heat must be some really magical process. Not only does it kill all the pathogens in the milk -- it produces nutrients from a product that should be deficient.

We're all in some sort of national epidemic of denial about the cruelty of our food production, and somehow there aren't any complications for us. We like to be so separate from the process that we don't have to think about it, and everything it means. Until one day, our healthy becomes so bad we cannot ignore it.

[Oh wait, no, those are the over-the-top vegetarians claiming food production is cruel....an extreme exaggeration]

Won't know how much milk I'll buy until I'm there. I've never tried raw milk. I'm scared. It's a little over an hour drive to get there. I think it's ridiculous that the production of raw milk has been made into some odd, almost underground movement. Give us freedom to our own food choices, no matter how weird they sound to our neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment