Thursday, January 31, 2013

Liars.


The more I read, the more frustrated I get. You read a lie or myth enough times, you start to believe it. For a long time, I read the conventional stuff. Now I'm way out there, reading what the conventional belief system wants us to believe is crazy. The more I read, and the more I hear, the more I am being moved to the other side.

And whoever comes to read this blog, may witness how an individual such as myself can come to believe all these things that we initially find crazy.

Last night I watched the documentary, Farmageddon. Today I read more of my Untold Story of Milk. A little more than a week ago, I had my first adult visit to a farm. I don't remember much from visiting farms as a kid.  The farm I picked up the raw milk from provided a handout about the risks and benefits of raw milk. They listed a few links at the bottom of the handout. Most of the websites I had been to.

I had not been to the FDA's section on raw milk. I already am familiar with their position from other articles. Still, I looked it up. I kind of got the impression that they took all of the pro raw milk arguments, and said the exact opposite. Not true, not true. Be scared, you will get sick.

Somebody is a liar. Who?

Shall we follow the money? Big agriculture and FDA vs small dairy farmers going out of business around the country?

How many of us trust our politicians? But we trust the FDA with our health?

In Farmageddon, they demonstrate how small farms and co-ops get raided when none of their customers got sick or complained. It all seems like fear-tactics, and why would anybody being using fear if they had nothing to hide or lose?

Lack of regulation of raw milk. So in IL, they inspect milk four times before it is sold. Raw milk, they don't inspect at all. It's like they are setting the system up to have problems. Yes, we want you to get sick on the milk so we can shut the farm down and prove our point. Luckily, when you pick it up from the farm, you can ask all the good questions about testing.

All the while, they don't care about the sickness of the animals in factory farming. And the downplay the food illness outbreaks from meats, vegetables, and pasteurized milk. Seems a little suspicious to me.

We've all heard about many of the moral issues surrounding our agriculture system, but why are we so apathetic?

No comments:

Post a Comment