Friday, February 1, 2013
Allergic to Running: Experiment Results (Part II)
I've made quite a few posts earlier about this absolutely nasty skin irritation that has been occurring recently when I run. Last evening, I decided to stop procrastinating and go for another run.
This time, I did the opposite of the last experiment. I ate food with little break before my run, and I ate dairy. Instead of pasteurized dairy products, I substituted with the raw milk. My dinner/trial food was two glasses of chocolate raw milk (raw whole milk, unsweetened cocoa, and a bunch of table sugar), and a half glass of plain raw milk five to ten minutes before my run. The rest of the milk was ingested within an hour of my run. I wanted to throw oil on the fire with the half glass immediately before the run. I normally wouldn't eat or drink something that close to a run. Running and digesting food at the same time doesn't tend to work well for me.
I set an alarm on my phone for about 30min in the future and began my run. Nothing awful happened. Felt like I had a heavy stomach with the milk hanging out there...some of it wanted to come back up. Very pleasant. I was completely fine, despite it being quite cold and windy. I seem to pick the best days to stop procrastinating.
What does this mean? I'm not sure. I guess it means raw milk doesn't cause the reaction. Or, it could mean it's gone away? The raw milk might even been somewhat protective to the point if I do an experiment with regular pasteurized milk, it may not work. I might have to buy some of that ultra-pasteurized milk. Ugh. Or, it could simple be a different food entirely that is causing this allergy.
I can also determine that it's probably not dermatitis herpetiformis because I have been bad and eaten two gluten containing chocolate brownies. One the same day as the run, and I had no problems. That skin condition is associated with eating gluten within six months.
Or....who knows....maybe my diet is healing my intestines and what was developing into a significant problem may have disappeared and returned to it's real home in the flames down under.
Upcoming tests will include honeydew (seems to cause a slight sore throat when I eat it) and pasteurized milk.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment