Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Animal Rights Meets Omnivore: Bad Idea


Now that I've got the background out of the way...

You can understand, then, that when I first added meat back into my diet, I didn't add a lot. Part of the reason I favor fish and eggs is because it seems like it is the least cruel. It's much easier to feel sympathy for taking the life of a cow than a fish. I like that you can still easily find wild fish in regular grocery stores. But there's a part of me that really does like the taste of meat....and another part of me that believes that meat is the key to my health improving.

Which finally gets me to what I wanted to say!

I had this crazy thought. I'm pretty sure that it's not that practical either, but for all the animal rights people out there who can't do without --- what about having farms that only sold animals that died of natural causes?

So there's a large plot of land where a bunch of animals live and breed. Put them in a mimic of their natural habitat, but void of all their predators. Let them live and eat happily until they keel over. Have sensor collars on the animals that alert the farmers immediately that an animal has died and where. Harvest the dead carcass.

But then I got to thinking, if there were no predators, how would these animals die?

Would it be gross to eat a cow that died from a tumor? Would something like that exist outside of factory farms?

No comments:

Post a Comment