Tuesday, January 8, 2013

My Diet...

Interested in trying out what seems to be working for me?

Start by tossing out nearly everything canned. Exception, tomato paste (and beans if you eat them). Mainly, your meals shouldn't be from a can or any other ready-to-go package. Next, open the fridge, and get rid of all condiments containing anything with high fructose corn syrup (it's really not equivalent to sugar) or a long laundry list of ingredients. Most likely this will include all types of salad dressing. Salad dressings generally include soybean oil or some other crappy oil - and it does matter. Peanut butters usually have bad oils, too. You can find peanut butter without added oil, if you must. Just got to be willing to turn over a bunch of peanut butters to find it.

-Protein-

Make sure to eat enough protein from quality sources. Eggs are my go to choice. Spend the extra money and find the local organic ones. Factory farming isn't only cruel, it produces lower quality food for you.

I generally don't limit my protein. I personally favor fish and eggs, but I will also buy bacon, chicken, and beef. Oh, looking for a nutrient-dense protein option? --- oysters!..or liver. I make sure to find the fattest options, nothing that is blah % lean. I believe our bodies know what to do with that fat.

-Fat-

I get fat with my protein options. Don't be timid about fat. If I buy milk, I go for full-fat. If I buy yogurt, I hunt for the fattest option (which is almost non-existent because we're so low-fat crazed). I use coconut oil for cooking (I've heard it's also good for weight-loss). Olive oil rarely, for salads. You're probably wondering what to eat with your salad, learn to make your own high-quality dressings. I tend to use vinegars with salt and pepper.

All other oils I don't touch with a 9' pole. Unfortunately, this also means that I look at going out to eat as though it's junk food (even nicer places) since it is uncommon to use coconut oil or animal fats for cooking in restaurants.

-Carbs-

Simply, not from grains (more junk food in my mind). After eliminating wheat, I discovered that my bloating disappeared, too. I extended this to other forms of grain because I believe it would be the last thing I would eat if I was starving in the wilderness. They don't taste good the way nature prepared them for us. They're hard, boring, and require a lot of work to get them to the point that they are sought-after. Fruit, however, yumm yumm. The fiber in fruit is matched with water. Many fruits are something like 90% water. I think that helps prevent the bloating that is associated with grains. Not to mention all the antioxidants found in fruits and vegetables. My fiber comes solely from fruits and vegetables. Limit intake of dried fruits, too (ex, prunes = terrible bloating).

Potatoes became my comfort food. If I missed bread, I substituted with fried potatoes. It is a little annoying to have to cook so much, but the desire to eat grains has significantly decreased.

I'm not saying this diet is perfect. I still have a lot of uncertainty. I have an entire book on fats and another one on raw milk to read. These areas still have some grey to them. Furthermore, I've read conflicting information on sugar. But for the sake of happiness, I'm taking sides with the sugar-lovers. It doesn't seem to be harming me any.

No comments:

Post a Comment