I never thought that I would go down this path. That what I would read, would bring me so far out there...
So when I first met, Dan, I didn't ask all the questions I should have. It didn't help that I was shy in that crowd of friends. I often keep to myself many things for sake of not knowing how people will judge me. Anyways.
Dan made chocolates. I wish I could have appreciated them more, but I guess that takes knowledge of the process. Not everybody enjoys dark chocolate. I'm somewhere in the middle. But he was inventive with it (flavors and packaging), and it's really something else to see somebody so young producing something like that.
I don't have an amazing memory. College/sleepless nights really ruined that. So there are many gaps, and thankfully I have some pictures from my encounters to help this mind.
I remember Dan mentioning something about a food movement. Did he invite us to something? I don't remember that specifically. But he was talking about milk during that conversation. He wanted to do something with food and how it used to be made. He wanted to rediscover the traditional way foods were prepared and eaten. I can't remember how I internally processed that at the time.
I'm not the kind of person that misses people much, or develops strong lasting bonds. Sometimes, but after so many disappointments you kind of can't get attached. Not the same way at least. So to say I miss somebody I hardly knew just doesn't feel right.
Somehow, it seems like I keep being reminded of Dan, though.
I was on the bus one day and saw this. Thought it appropriate to take a picture, and oddly enough, my camera was with me.
Another time, later, I was reading about food and milk. Surfing the net, but trying to find local things. Found Dan again. If I knew then what I know now, I would have had a bunch of questions to ask. Life is a crazy place.
I never went to any of the events surrounding his death. I really only barely knew him, and I don't know how to console people. Just seems so awkward. Doesn't mean he is forgotten.

No comments:
Post a Comment